Simple Precautions to Take for Best Platelet Rich Plasma Results
Having opted to take PRP treatment, it is advisable that you follow your practitioner’s before and after precautions carefully. So you can ensure that you get the best Platelet Rich Plasma results. While the serum itself is highly effective and safe to use, the physician at the PRP Injection clinic administering the injection is likely to recommend a few dos and don’ts. These recommendations can minimize any possible discomfort and side effects. Here’s what you need to know.
Pre-injection Precautions for Positive Platelet Rich Plasma Results
As recommended by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, keep these few factors in mind to get the most positive Platelet Rich Plasma results.
- If you have been taking corticosteroid medications, stop those two to three weeks before you’ve scheduled the PRP injection.
- Also, avoid any inflammatory medications or NSAIDs like ibuprofen or aspirin a week before the procedure. That’s because the occurrence of inflammation is an essential part of the PRP treatment.
- Do not take medication for arthritis such as Celebrex for a week before the treatment.
- If you’re taking blood thinners or anticoagulants, avoid those 5 days prior to your appointment.
- Make sure you drink plenty of fluids on the day before the injection. For instance, you can drink two glasses each at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. On the day of the procedure, carry a 500ml bottle of water with you and have it just before the injection is given.
- Your physician might recommend that you take medication to calm anxiety just before the injection is administered.
- Eat a regular breakfast or lunch on the scheduled day.
- If you intend to get therapy for reversing hair loss, you can safely wash your hair the same day or have it colored up to 3 days before.
- Three days prior to the scheduled session, avoid taking alcohol. If you smoke, you might want to stop completely or cut back. That’s because smoking can affect your Platelet Rich Plasma results.
- Although you can take iron and vitamin D, a week before the treatment, you must refrain from taking multivitamins including vitamin E and vitamin A. Also, eliminate supplements like essential fatty acids, cod liver oil, flax, garlic, and ginkgo.
Post-injection Precautions to Take
Having completed the PRP injections, your physician will recommend that you take care of the treated area so you get the best Platelet Rich Plasma results. Here’s what you need to do.
- If you have taken the PRP treatment for arthritis or joint pain, the doctor will advise that you relax and don’t strain the joint. Take complete rest for two or three days and avoid hectic home or workplace activities.
- The doctor might ask you to wear a sling or brace to keep the treatment area immobile. For injections in the hip, knee, or ankle, you might have to use crutches. Remove the sling or brace only when you have to shower or change.
- To help relieve the discomfort and swelling, you can apply a cold compress for 10 to 20 minutes, a few times every day for at least 2 days.
- Remember to take your anti-inflammatory medication only after checking with the PRP procedure physician. Typically, you might have to wait for 2 weeks or so.
- Take only the prescribed medications for any pain you may feel.
- If you have taken PRP treatment for hair loss, refrain from touching your hair or shampooing for at least 12 hours afterward. Stay out of the sun and if you must go out, wear a hat for protection.
- For most effective Platelet Rich Plasma results, you must avoid smoking and alcohol for 3 days after the injection.
Look Forward to Great Platelet Rich Plasma Results
When you work with an expert physician, you can be sure that she will take the utmost of precautions and care when administering the injection. For instance, she will maintain sterile conditions and give you the serum as soon as it is ready. She will also carefully watch the ultrasonic monitor to guide the injection at the precise site for the best Platelet Rich Plasma results. You will be asked to come back for a follow-up examination after a week to make sure the healing is progressing well. Rely on our doctors at the PRP Injection center to help you with every bit of information and guidance you need to make the treatment an absolute success.
Precautions After Treatment
Platelet-Rich Plasma Injection Procedure